Youth Commission

Thursday, August 31, 2017, 6:30 pm until 7:30 pm
114 Main Street
A meeting of the Youth Commission

Meeting of Youth Commission

Members: (Quorum)

  • Present: Maria Burge, at 6:30 PM
  • Present: Patty Morey Walker, at 6:30 PM
  • Present: Penny Ricketts, at 6:30 PM
  • Present: Robert O'Neill, at 6:30 PM
  • Present: Tammy Campbell, at 6:30 PM
  • Present: Kia Burton-King, at 6:30 PM

Also Present:

  • Nancy Hazard

See original Agenda * * * DRAFT Meeting Minutes * * *

Meeting opened: 6:30 PM

Meeting closed: 7:45 PM

  1. Meeting Preliminaries

    • Meeting Opened / Attendance Taken (see above).

    • No minutes to approve.

  2. Re-Organization/Election of Officers

    • Election of Officers

      General Discussion...
      Maria began the meeting with a reorganization discussion. She nominated Patty as Chair, Bob seconded. Unanimous vote. Penny nominated Kia for Vice Chair, Patty seconded. Unanimous vote. Penny stated she would be secretary because it was important to get information out to people sooner than later. Unanimous vote.

    • SKATEPARK

      General Discussion...
      Patty is now Chair and we discuss what agenda items should be discussed and what should be tabled.
      Penny shared with the commission that the Skate Park committee is looking for our support /advocacy. We discussed the possible location and members of their committee. Nancy Hazard was present and offered to forward their meeting notes to our committee. There is a Soup and Game Night on 9/11 at Hope and Olive. Anyone who wants to help out is welcome. (Penny, Patty, Robert and Kia attended)

    • Our Committee

      General Discussion...
      We updated the list with our e-mails. Nekke Ragoza was deleted from list. Terry Adams was added. Everyone was encouraged to reach out to fill the remaining seats. Kia will contact Krizia Carter again who has sent her e-mail in. Patty was going to ask Peter McIver. Our Facebook page administrator is Ben Miner currently. Patty will get the admin privileges. Penny will discuss with IT / Clerks office about updating our town page. Maria also brought up that Robert and Kia’s term should end 2020 not 2019. Penny will check with Clerk’s office. She will also check to see if we have $500 in our budget.

    • Kite Day

      General Discussion...
      Penny brought up Kia’s idea of having Kite Day at Beacon Field. It was discussed that we could ask various businesses for plastic, balsa wood and shop at the dollar store for decorating the kites. We also discussed having other projects children could do, some entertainment and putting together a day event Spring 2018

    • Sports House

      General Discussion...
      Tammy has this wonderful dream that we are sure she will make happen to have a good size shed that people can donate all used sports equipment for others to use. Once they grow out of it, they can donate it right back. She is currently speaking to Mik at Yankee Candle for funding. We supported her idea and stated if she wrote up a proposal, we could help get other businesses to match one another.

    • Mission Statement

      General Discussion...
      Kia brought up the mission statement needing to be updated. She will take on the project and Bob will keep her on task.

    • Youth Advisory Council

      General Discussion...
      Kia wondered if we could have students on the committee or pull together a group to bounce ideas off. Also, this group can let us know what they are thinking, what they want and how we can work together.
      We tabled this as Patty will reach out to Jordana Harper for the best way to kick off this idea. We can have them name themselves and come to meetings.

    • Getting Our Name Out There

      General Discussion...
      Patty is going to work on a press release about the Youth Commission up and running again. She will reach out for more members and invite folks to check out our page when it’s up. Members are to bring ideas to the next meeting about what they would like to see us doing.

    • Resources

      General Discussion...
      We agreed Tammy will be a great contact for so many things we may need. She will be contacting the paper company closing in Miller Falls for paper we could use in the future. She also has contact for rolls of plastic we could use for kite day. As we make a list of things we would like to offer to the community’s children, we will build a list of likely places to get resources.

    • Next Meeting

      General Discussion...
      We decided Sept 26th will be our next meeting, hopefully in the same place. Patty will be checking for availability with MJ and the folks at the library.

  3. Meeting Wrap-up

The listing of matters is those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.

Posted to: Youth Commission