Public Safety Commission
Butch Hawkins, Chair
14 Court Square, Greenfield, MA 01301
Meeting Schedule: Last Wednesday of each month. 5:00 PM Police Dept. Meeting Room
No meetings currently scheduled.
4 of 5 seats. 3 years each seat.
- Butch Hawkins, Chair. December, 2024.
- Adam J. Provost. December, 2022.
- Frederick Clark. June, 2023.
- Susan White. June, 2023.
(a) There shall he a Public Safety Commission consisting of five (5) members, all of whom shall be residents and registered voters of the Town, appointed by the Mayor subject to provisions of section 2-10.
(b) The commission shall elect annually at the first meeting in each calendar year a chairperson, vice chairperson and a secretary who shall keep a record of its meetings.
(c) The members shall serve 3-year staggered terms. Commission members shall serve without compensation.
(d) Powers and Duties: The commission shall assist the Mayor in the supervision and oversight of the police and fire departments, including the coordination of the administration of both departments with one another, and with other Town departments and agencies by making recommendations to the Mayor concerning:
- Setting priorities within said departments;
- The annual operating budgets of both departments, after the Mayor and commission have met with the chiefs to discuss the proposed budgets;
- The capital budget requests of both departments, after the Mayor and the commission have met with the chiefs to discuss the requests, provided, however, that commission members may only inspect the departments on an annual basis in connection with the budget review or in relation to a written complaint from the public. (Inspections shall be made only after approval from the chief has been obtained to insure it will not unduly disrupt department operations.)
- Final interviews for appointments and promotions of officers and men and women, in the police and fire department, shall be conducted by the commission and the chief. The chief shall submit his recommendations to the commission and the commission, if it does not agree with said recommendations, shall submit written reasons for not concurring with said recommendations to the Mayor. Appointments and promotions of public safety personnel shall be made in accordance with Civil Service Law and General Laws, and local hiring policy requirements as defined by the Mayor, respectively.
The operation of the police and fire departments, and the conduct of employees of both departments.
1. The Commission shall meet on a regular basis.
2. Special meetings may be called by the Mayor, Chairman of the Commission or majority vote of the Commission,
3. Minutes shall be kept of all public meetings,
4. The Commission may establish its own rules of procedure including those governing the conduct of its meetings.
(g) In the event of a vacancy, the Mayor shall make an appointment for the balance of said term subject to Town Council approval pursuant to section 2-10.
- Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 05:00 PM -- Police Dept. Meeting Room 321 High Street
- Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 05:00 PM
- Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 05:00 PM -- Police Dept. Meeting Room 321 High Street
- Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 05:00 PM -- Police Dept. Meeting Room
- Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 05:00 PM -- Police Dept. Meeting Room
- Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 05:00 PM -- Police Dept. Meeting Room
- Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 05:00 PM -- Police Dept. Meeting Room
- Wed, May 26, 2021 at 04:00 PM -- WebX City of Greenfield
- Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 02:00 PM -- WebX
- Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 04:00 PM -- 412 Main Street Greenfield, MA. Fire Station
- Show 31 More...