Our department consists of a permanent career force, supplemented with a call force. Each has there own hiring process.
Greenfield Fire Department is a Civil Service organization, meaning those persons applying for employment as permanent firefighters must first take the statewide competitive examination for firefighters, which is conducted every other year. This examination consists of two components; a written examination weighted 50% and an entry-level physical abilities test weighted 50%. Applicants must take and pass both parts of the examination to be eligible for consideration. After passing both exams, a list is established based on scores and specific preferences. This list is valid for two years. The upcoming 2021 written exam will be October 30th , 2021 with an application deadline of September 7th, 2021. After that deadline and until September 21st applications will have an additional late fee.
- Must be 19 on or before the registration deadline.
- Must be a non-smoker at the time of and after appointment.
Exam applications and detailed information about eligibility requirements, application fees, and the examination process are available at 2021 Municipal Firefighter Exam
Exam applications are also available at the Greenfield City Hall, Customer Service Center.
Minority and women are encouraged to apply.
- Pass the state civil service examination for firefighters and be in the acceptable ranking on the civil service list for the City of Greenfield.
- Successfully complete the following:
- Background investigation process
- Oral interview
- Physical examination
- Basic firefighter training within the department and in the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy Recruit Program
- One year probationary period after the permanent appointment.
- EMT-B Massachusetts state certification within 18 months of permanent appointment.
Questions about employment opportunities should be directed to the Chief's Office, by calling (413)774-4322.
Call force employment applications are collected and kept on file until there are position vacancies. Applicants who have filed applications are interviewed and offered employment pending a physical exam. New hires are trained on the bi-monthly call force training nights.
Applications are the general town employment application, available here and can be submitted to Human Resources at the Town Hall.
Posted: Mon, Oct 12, 2015 10:01 AM
Updated Mon, Aug 9, 2021 12:00 AM